Platinum Arts Sandbox is an open source easy to use free 3D Game Maker and 3D World Creation program currently used in many schools throughout the world that allows kids and adults to create their own video games, worlds, levels, adventures and quests, even cooperatively! The goal is to make it accessible to kids but also powerful enough for full game projects. With a simple click and roll of a mouse wheel users can modify the world however they want. In the words of Meg, a nine year old Sandbox whiz "Press Edit and go fulfill your dreams!". Now features new game modes such as sidescroller, machinima, kartmode, RPG, and more!
If you prefer video check out our tutorial video:
Platinum Arts Sandbox Main Features:
* Kid Friendly, Free and Open Source.
* Editing is done in game, including cooperatively over the Internet or LAN.
* Easy enough for kids to use but powerful enough for full game projects.
* Several different modes, including cart, sidescroller, movie (machinima) and RPG
* Several custom maps that feature saving a princess, mazes, houses, quests, etc
* The pursuit of making it as easy as possible to add map features and content.
Why Should Kids And Schools Use Sandbox?
* Kids are free to express their creativity in creating 3D worlds, quests, characters, and more.
* Lots of content already available such as animals, trees, characters, and objects that can easily placed.
* Many school subjects are covered such as Art, Math, English, Earth Science, Physics, CAD, Programming C++, etc.
* Through Moviecube kids are able to create their own movies and stories.
*Teamwork is promoted through cooperative editing and map creation.
Why Should Designers Use Sandbox?
* More user friendly and stable than typical game design software. Everything is done in game, no compiling required.
* Being open source means full access to the engine code. The sky is the limit as far as new features that can be added.
* Lots of content and code already included to save time and effort on the creation process.
* Very supportive and friendly community.
* Powerful scripting language
* Height map mode to create in game mountains and caves.
* The ability to import md2, md3, md5 and obj model formats.
* Supports popular sound formats.
* Contains code project files for VS, Codeblocks, Linux makefile and Xcode.
What's new in this version:
New 3D sidescroller Mario like mode! Also there is a separate RPG project, check the wiki! Hotkeys that make it easier to save games, add materials, and lots more! New in game help section that displays all of the binds/key commands! Snow has been tweaked and updated :) Be sure to check out the new version of house :D Maps now generate cfgs on save! Also many various map tweaks. New main menu theme! To try other themes check out...