WiFi Scanner is the most feature rich and complete WiFi scanning app on the app store and is a great tool for personal use and for IT professionals. All features available on 10.6 and later (Snow Leopard, Lion and Mountain Lion)
WiFi Scanner is an 802.11/WiFi wireless scanner and connection manager for 802.11 a/b/g/n networks. WiFi Scanner is an easy to use tool for designing, verifying, and troubleshooting WiFi coverage. The tool provides information such signal strength, noise, manufacturer name based on MAC address prefix of device (OUI), and AP channel assignments for WiFi access points.
WiFi Scanner can also be used a security tool for detecting unauthorized and rogue access points. The app includes an audio alert (beep) feature that is directly related to RSSI / access point signal strength. This feature can be used to track down devices by listening for beep frequency instead of watching app screen.
- Scans 802.11 a/b/g/n
- Scans both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands
- Displays channel number per device
- Indicates if channel is in 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz channel band
- Detects devices operating using 20 MHz or 40 MHz channel bandwidth
- Correctly identifies if 40 MHz channel width is above (channel, +1) or below (channel, -1) primary channel
- Auto starts scanning when app is launched
- Stop / pause / resume scan / start new scan
- Plot RSSI value for SSIDs for a single, multiple or all detected access points
- Can toggle on / off RSSI value on plot
- Sort any column and app remembers on next open
- Move columns to desired position and app remembers position on next open
- Copy/Paste rows of results into own documents
- Expandable/collapsible graph area
- Expandable/collapsible table view area
- Join button per SSID that allows user to join WiFi network
- Option to merge scan results from similar SSIDs into single strongest signal SSID
- The tool reports signal strength in dBm
- Filter results by RSSI, SSID, BSSID, Channel, and Channel Band
- Use AND/OR combinations to fine tune filtered results
- Left column automatically logs each scan session when stop/play is clicked using "Scan #" format
- Double click default scan name to edit and customize name. For example Floor 1, Floor 2, etc
- Review previous scans while app is open. Great for comparing scans per floor/area
- Double click results row to view new window with RSSI and graph. See second screen shot below.
- Audio beep in monitor window increases as RSSI increases for access point being tracked. Very handy for rogue access point tracking
Interface Info Tab
- Turn interface on/off
- Disconnect from access point but leave interface enabled
- Detailed information about connected WiFi network
- Signal and noise plot for connected WiFi network
- Create Ad-hoc network / IBSS
- Transmission rate for connected WiFi network
- Displays supported channels for computer
- Displays supported WiFi types for computer (802.11 a/b/g/n)
Remote GPS Tab
- UDP listener for use with Sensor Pro remote GPS iPhone app
Connect your device to the internet using WiFi.
Detects and gives information about wireless networks.
Keeps your wireless network safe and secure against vulnerabilities.
It helps you scan WiFi networks and searches devices on your local network.
Use WiFi Survey to perform WiFi 802.11 a/b/g/n speed tests.