Nodal is generative software for composing music, interactive real-time improvisation, and a musical tool for experimentation and fun. Nodal uses a new method for creating and exploring musical patterns, probably unlike anything you’ve used before. You can play sounds using Nodal's built-in synthesiser or any MIDI compatible hardware or software instrument.
***** "Desktop Composition Software Changes the Face of Music" -- Wired Gadget Lab
***** "This isn’t just for ambient music lovers... – sync features mean you can use Nodal just as easily in rhythmic pieces or even dance music." -- Peter Kirn, Create Digital Music
***** "I dove into Nodal headfirst and have had a great time experimenting. It has so far worked seamlessly with my softsynths and external hardware. Pitch lists, velocity lists, random branching and wormholes combined with analog and digital synths and controllers are opening new ways of creating and interacting with music. Cage would have loved it." -- Chris Stack, ExperimentalSynth
Nodal is based around the concept of a user-defined network. The network consists of nodes (musical events) and edges (connections between events). You interactively define the network, which is then automatically traversed by any number of virtual players. Players play their instruments according to the notes specified in each node. The time taken to travel from one node to another is based on the length of the edges that connect the nodes. Nodal allows you to create complex, changing sequences using just a few simple elements. Its unique visual representation allows you to edit and interact with the music generating system as the composition plays.
Nodal is compatible with DAW software such as Ableton Live, Logic Studio, Digital Performer and Garage Band. It can transmit and receive MIDI sync. You can edit a network using the mouse and keyboard, and optionally a MIDI keyboard. Nodal recognises and sends notes, sync, continuous controller and pitch bend information.
- simple but powerful interface
- change your composition while it is playing, great for improvisation and quickly creating new musical ideas
- compatible with any MIDI synthesiser and major Digital Audio software
- can run stand alone using the built-in synthesiser
- live performance tools: trigger complex sequences within the network using any MIDI keyboard or MIDI input device
- define your own interactive continuous controller curves (e.g. Volume, Pan, Modulation) for greater musical expression
- built-in examples and tutorial information to get you started and making music quickly