Wondershare Video Converter Pro is a multipurpose media downloading and conversion utility. It doesn't provide any shocking new features that can't be found in free or substantially cheaper software, but what it does provide is the convenience and consistency of a one-stop shop for all of your video downloading and conversion needs. It differs from Video Converter Ultimate, Wondershare's premium offering, in not having any functions directly related to DVDs (such as copying or burning).
I can find next to nothing to complain about in the user interface for this utility. The options for file formatting and customizability are numerous, but at the same time there is such a simplicity to their election that you might think this application was developed by Apple itself. I admire the clean distinction between the program's conversion and download functions; however, the download tab functions like a regular browser with YouTube as its homepage, with no special download capability. It's actually easier to use a browser like Chrome for which Wondershare provides a free plugin, rather than dragging the URL from one window of WVCP into another.
As for functionality, WVCP likewise largely fails to disappoint. Whether you want to generate an iPhone ringtone, upload a video to Facebook, format specifically for Final Cut Pro, or just make a run-of-the-mill .mov file, it's got you covered. Even obscure formats like 3D MKV and APE are covered, as there are features like video concatenation, deinterlacing, and nontrivial pre-conversion editing capabilities. For the less technically minded, conversion by viewing device is available. One feature I found lacking was customizable color correction, an important feature of video conversion for many professionals, with no options other than grayscale, orangey tint, and a delightfully artsy but largely useless effect labeled "Four Seasons".
A trial version is available, as of this writing, that has the following limitations:
• Watermark on all converted videos (but not on downloaded FLV files)
• Slowed video conversion speed after 10 completed video conversions
• A maximum of 10 video downloads from websites other than YouTube
• No conversion for audio files longer than 3 minutes in duration
• Nag screen upon opening
- One-stop shop for video and audio conversion needs
- Trial version provides unlimited YouTube downloads (in FLV format)
- Very limited color correction and effects options
- Cost probably only justified for professionals, as the program name indicates