Voreen is an open source volume rendering engine which allows interactive visualization of volumetric data sets with high flexibility when integrating new visualization techniques. It is implemented as a multi-platform (Windows, Linux, Mac) C library using OpenGL and GLSL for GPU-based rendering.
- Direc volume rendering (DVR), isosurface rendering, maximum-intensity projection (MIP)
- Support of different illumination models (phong shading, tone shading)
- Interactive internal and external labeling
- Flexible combination of image processing operators (depth darkening, glow, chromadepth, edge detection)
- Glyph-based visualization of multimodal datasets (not yet publicly available)
- Visualization of time-varying as well as segmented 3D datasets
- Support for 1D and 2D transfer functions/CLUTs