Take a tour of the galaxy on your Mac with Cosmic Crawler! Unlike most planetarium software, Cosmic Crawler doesn't confine you to the surface of the Earth and is not limited to giving you maps of constellations, but rather a fully immersive cosmic exploration experience. You can travel throughout the solar system and the galaxy to any of over 100,000 stars, planets, comets, asteroids, spacecraft, extra-solar planets and more. View them in their actual positions and surroundings at any point in space and time, orbit them, travel with them, find eclipses on any body and observe the actual workings of the solar system and galaxy. Jump to any location in the galaxy or fly through the cosmos. Orbit planets and moons illustrated with amazing skins created from NASA and ESA photography. You can even visit extra-solar planets!
Trace Cassini's journey to Saturn, follow Apollo 11 to the moon or orbit the red planet with the Mars Global Surveyor.
All movement in Cosmic Crawler is seamless; the exponential zoom feature lets you explore space across a huge range of scales, from galaxy clusters down to a specific spacecraft only a few meters across. A 'point-and-go' interface makes it simple to navigate through the universe to the object you want to visit.
Cosmic Crawler is also highly customizable with dozens of options and configurations including multiple views/screens.
- Jump to an object or use the object browser, loaded with thousands of objects including planets, comets, asteroids, spacecraft, stars, extra-solar planets and other galaxies. You can even view specific features on objects within the solar system, such as the mountains of Mars or the frozen plains of Europa.
- Follow an object through time or use the orbit, lock phase or chase modes at any range.
- Use the eclipse finder to view future or past eclipses on Earth, the moon, or any planet in the solar system.
- Fly through space using game-like controls for pitch, yaw and roll. Look forward or backward as you fly or track a space object. Fly as fast as you like, even 1 light year per second, the speed of light is not a constraint in Cosmic Crawler.
- Accelerate or reverse time to any point and at any speed. Jump millions of years into the future or past or watch time unfold with amazing animations. You can also view and factor in light speed delays.
- Display labels and orbits for all categories of celestial objects, constellation figures and/or boundaries, a space coordinate system and many other special features.
- Adjust your display settings with dozens of options including star style, brightness, resolution, texture, field of view settings and more.
- Split you screen into multiple subviews to visualize different object simultaneously or the same object from multiple view points.
- Keep track of interesting objects by saving it and the current view via the "Favorites" menu.
- Use the full screen mode for a fully immersive experience